Call us on 020 3972 9011

Or complete form for a free initial consultation

    Personal Independence Payments

    Personal Independence Payments (PIP) are the benefit that has replaced the Disability Living Allowance for people between the ages of 16-64.

    PIP is not based on the condition you have or the medication you take.

    It is based on the level of help you need because of how your condition affects you.

    You will be assessed on the level of help you need with specific activities.

    As a claimant  you can challenge the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) decision about PIP if:

    • The DWP made no award of  PIP
    • A lower rate of PIP was awarded than you expected
    • You think your award isn’t long enough

    If you have recently been turned down for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) or have had your award reduced after an assessment then it is worth taking advice to see if you have merits to appeal the decision. I can also assist you if you have lost your Motability Scheme Vehicle due to a reduction in your PIP payments.

    Should you disagree with a decision that has been made about your Personal Independence Payments (PIP) claim, you can challenge it. In the first instance, this can be done by requesting the DWP to carry out a mandatory reconsideration.

    You will need to request the mandatory reconsideration within one month of the date on the decision letter. If the request for a mandatory reconsideration is conducted successfully then your Personal Independence Payments (PIP) will be reinstated.

    A successful reconsideration at this stage can save a lot of time, stress, and money and you should carefully consider if you need assistance in putting forward your request for a mandatory reconsideration at this stage.

    In the event that your application for a mandatory reconsideration is unsuccessful then you will have the opportunity to have your appeal heard on paper or in person before an independent panel, called a tribunal.

    More information about social security first-tier tribunals can be found here. First Tier Tribunal Appeals page

    To request an appeal after an unsuccessful mandatory reconsideration you will need to complete an SSCS1 form.

    It is also possible to request a Personal Independence Payments (PIP) appeal through the government online system by clicking on this link

    Once the DWP receives your request for a Personal Independence Payments (PIP)  appeal they will send you a tribunal bundle. This will consist of the reasons why they have made the decision to refuse or not give you the level of Personal Independence Payments (PIP) that you may have desired.

    Receiving the tribunal bundle can be daunting for some appellants and most choose to request legal assistance at this stage. I can assist in putting forward a tribunal submission appealing against the DWP’s decision. I will make sure that the correct and relevant case laws and regulations are used. This will give you the best chance of success at the tribunal hearing. 

    I can also assist appellants with assistance for the tribunal hearing at the first tier tribunal stage. I have over 20 years of experience in dealing with welfare benefits appeals and I am one of a few qualified solicitors in the country that specialises in welfare benefits law. I take on clients from all over England and find that most of the work can be done over the phone and email. If required I can offer virtual meetings via Zoom or Microsoft teams but if a face-to-face appointment is needed this can also be arranged.

    As legal aid is no longer available for welfare benefits appeals I offer a fixed fee service so that you can be assured of the amount that you will be charged from the outset and you will not receive any unexpected surprise bills at the end of your case.

    As a fully qualified and regulated solicitor, my services are offered through the award-winning national firm Scott-Moncrieff & Associates Ltd Solicitors.

    More information about the firm can be found at, and a recent case study of one of my PIP appeal cases can be found at the following link:

    For further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

    Free Initial Enquiry

    I would be delighted to help you with your legal matters.

    For a free initial consultation please call 0203 9729011 or email me using the contact form below.